Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Loose bind off for toe up socks

I made a pair of socks with some yarn I had never used before: Regia Cotton Color.  They turned out longer than I needed them to be for my feet, so now they are J's.  Isn't that the nice thing about knitting.  Whatever you make will fit somebody.  After they are washed they might shrink a bit and come home to me again, but for now they are gone.

The interesting thing about these socks, at least interesting to me, is the bind off.  I am usually careful to bind off loosely for toe up socks, but my regular bind off is never s-t-r-e-t-c-h-y.  This time I tried a modified picot bind off, which is stretchy.  The socks are a 2x2 rib.  I wanted to do the little picot thing only on the knit rib, not the purl trough, and I didn't want a real picot looking edge on 2x2 crew socks.  I did this:

*At the beginning of the 2 knit stitches, cable cast on one.  Bind off three stitches.  Bind off two purl stitches.*  Repeat between * all the way 'round the top of the sock.   It doesn't have a picot appearance because you are only adding one stitch for every 4 sock stitches, and it's stretchy.

I am now officially down to one WIP.  Maybe next will be and EZ ribwarmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment