Thursday, January 1, 2009

Never Not Knitting

I'm a huge fan of The Yarn Harlot, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee.  For Christmas I got this calendar:

20090101 Never Not KnittingToday's page wishes us a new year of personal firsts, and asks us to consider the first knitter ... "Unlike the invention of the lightbulb or the car, I doubt anyone realized at the time what an incredible thing she had just come up with."

I'm not knitting on a personal first right now.  The current project is a 2x2 rib sock from the toe up.  The only new thing about these socks is the yarn: Regia Cotton Color.  It's a nice fingering weight sock yarn made of 41% wool, 34% cotton, and 25% nylon (yarn picture in ravelry project).  The yarn is behaving nicely - no knots so far, colors bright.

So what will be my next project, my next personal first?  I think an EZ Ribwarmer will be next.  Technically speaking, I have already knit a ribwarmer, but it was just a little teddy bear test.  This yarn and project have been hovering toward the top of my project list for some time now.  I got the yarn in England and had it dyed by Ray at Knitivity.com.  I got the DVD from Schoolhouse press and watched it.  I did a gauge swatch with a couple of different needles.  Next to-do is an honest measurement of me so that the project has a chance in hell of fitting when done.

About this "personal first".  It usually takes me more than one try to get something right.  How about you?  And what's on your Personal First list for the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment