Saturday, March 14, 2009

Estimating yardage in a ribwarmer

20090314 McMorran BalanceSomebody asked me how many yards of yarn I used in my EZ Ribwarmer.  I didn’t have a clue, so I used my McMorran Balance to estimate (emphasis on the estimate) how many yards I used based on the weight of the garment.

The way it works is you add bits of yarn to one side of the balance until it is level.  In the picture here, I still have to cut off a little more to level the balance.  After it’s level you measure all the bits of yarn and multiply the total length by 100.  I estimate that I get somewhere around 610-625 yards per pound of yarn.  I round that down to 600 to be conservative.

But my ribwarmer only weighs 13.75 ounces.  So… 13.75 ounces is about 86% of a pound, which means that my ribwarmer used about 520 yards of Wendsleydale Aran wool yarn.

If I were you, I’d tell people 600 yards, just to be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment