Thursday, January 28, 2010

Knitter’s Companion: Expanded and Updated

image

I took this book to lunch with me the other day and paged through it again.  I had the first edition and wasn’t impressed.  I don’t know why I bought this second edition (copyright 2006), other than I have an addiction to knitting books.  I’ve had it on my book shelf for quite a while.

I find it has a lot to offer.  It is expanded and updated.  The book is made for travel or knitting bag carry-along.  It’s small but not too small, spiral-bound, with thick pages that won’t easily bend.  It even has a knitting & needle gauge in the back, although I wouldn’t use the needle gauge too often because repeated insertion of needles would distort the size of the holes.

The information is robust.  In addition to knitting techniques, there is information about yarn, label symbols, yarn substitution, yardage estimates, body measurement help, size charts for men/women/children, crochet stitches for edging, a good index, and more.

Don’t get me wrong – this is no Knitter’s Handbook by Montse Stanley, and it won’t replace my knitting reference library, but I wouldn’t want to carry something like the Knitter’s Handbook in my knitting bag.

I give Vicki Square’s Knitter’s Companion: Expanded and Updated a big thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment