Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A little of this and that

image

I can’t believe that two months ago the 4 little owlets in this owl box were so small that they couldn’t even lift up their own heads.  Look at them now.  What beauties.  This picture is a screen capture (copyright Carlos and Donna Royal) of the live web cam that has been running since the mom and pop began to use the box.  Molly, the mom, laid six eggs in February and four of them hatched and grew into beautiful barn owlets.  McGee, the pop, brought small game for molly to eat so she could sit on the eggs.  He brought mice, gophers, rabbits, and who knows what all.  You can click on the picture to go to the web cam.

Carlos has been a good host for the web cam and answered countless calls from school children who were watching the entire process.  Owls sleep during the day and are active at night.  Carlos even has a night vision camera so you can see inside the owl box 24 hours a day.  It’s been a rewarding experiment for him.

Knitting

I’ve been kitting on my lace scarf/wrap thing.  It’s almost finished.  I’ll stop when it’s 70” long and then block it and show pictures of the finished thing.  I’ve been thinking of calling it my House Wrap, because I have worked my way through season 1 and season 2 of television’s House series DVDs while working on it.  It’s going on sale to raise money for the Chico Friends of the Library.  I hope it sells.

Web site development

I’ve had tons of fun the last few days, so much fun that time passes without me noticing it.  I’ve learned a little JavaScript, a little PHP, and a little Dynamic HTML and form processing.  I want to put an interactive message form on the CFOL web site so that I won’t have email addresses sprinkled throughout the web pages.  I think this will cut down on the spam.  We’ll see.  I’m “this close” to being done.  It’s really a rush when things work!

No comments:

Post a Comment