Thursday, September 23, 2010

A new toy

I bought an AT&T 3G MicroCell today.  The cost, with CA tax, was an outrageous $162.

image

My gripe about the money is that I shouldn’t have to pay extra to get a good signal.  However, life doesn’t always work the way it should, so this handy little box now sits on my loft railing and sends strong 3G signal all over my house.  It works.  It was easy to install.  All I had to do was activate the MicroCell at AT&T’s web site, plug an ethernet cable from the MicroCell into a port on my wifi router, turn on the power, and wait.

The color in the picture is true.  It’s a gawd awful orange and white.

The setup instructions say to wait about 90 minutes for the MicroCell to activate itself after you turn it on.  It took 15 minutes.  My iPhone displays 5 bars & “AT&T M-Cell”.  I haven’t ever seen 5 bars on my phone here in my neighborhood.

I’ll test it out for a month or two and, if it works well, think seriously about getting rid of my land line.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I get half of one bar on my IPhone at home using 3G !
    So ridiculous that we have be something extra for a good signal! I may wait till the price goes down, but thanks so much for the info! I wonder if the library bought these people would yell into the cells anymore :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so old-fashioned. I don't even have call waiting, let alone a cell-phone. But then there is no sense in getting a cell-phone since I would have to go some place else to use it. LOL. Hope it works out for you. Good luck. Renate

    ReplyDelete