Friday, January 28, 2011

State of the

… garden.

This is the time of year when people, me for instance, have the least amount of emotional energy.  Therefore, today’s post will have some amount of complaining in it, with pictures.

20110128 Rose Not Pruned20110128 OnionsThe new landscape gardener has been mostly a no show this winter, for various reasons some of which were out of her control.  So I’m going to cut her some slack.  In the meantime I called another company this morning to arrange for a one time pruning job.  The rose in the picture really needs pruning.  It’s taller than I am.  I could do it myself, but I have a convenient excuse – I’ve been having my cataracts fixed and part of the recovery instructions include “don’t bend over.”

One good thing the gardener did was put some chai tea on the vegetable garden as a mulch, so it looks bright and cheery.  There is a squirrel, or something, who thinks the onions and shallots look good.  I hope [s]he hasn’t killed them by rooting around in there.

20110128 Promising Rhodo budOne promising thing:  There are several buds on the rhododendron.  It hasn’t bloomed for a couple of years, but this year there is hope.  The camellias are blooming, and there is one azalea in bloom, so it’s not all bad.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, rhododendron buds! Mine were not enthusiastic bloomers until I started feeding them. In August. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete